Here we go.

27 October 2011

Mesa Verde

We spent two days and one night in Mesa Verde National Park.  It's a fascinating place and has completely renewed  my interest in Ancient Puebloan peoples.  

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

A lot of the structure itself is original, but has been made stabilized, which means there's been some rebuilding, so I couldn't guess how much of it authentic, but these wooden beams are original:
Photobucket

Photobucket

I spotted this piece of pottery at Cliff Palace.  You can't take it with you:
Photobucket

Another kiva:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Original art (for lack of a better word):
Photobucket

The view from our room at Far View Lodge.  That'd be New Mexico in the distance.  If you turned your head over your left shoulder , you could see Utah:
Photobucket

Cute little chipmunk.  Photograph taken through binoculars.
Photobucket

We saw a lot of deer, some elk, and chipmunks.  At one point, whilst hiking, we heard a deep growl.  Then we smelled feline spray.  Now, I 'm not saying it was a mountain lion, but I'm not ruling it out.  It was a little off-putting because it was early and we were the only ones on the trail.  Thankfully, nothing came of it.  Hesitant tracks:
Photobucket

Soda Canyon:
Photobucket

Unmarked cliff dwellings:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Soda Canyon:
Photobucket

Charlie Brown Xmas tree:
Photobucket

I think that next time we go to Mesa Verde, I'd like to do some tent camping there, so we can be immersed in and surrounded by the wilderness.  The lodge has a great restaurant called the Metate Room -- I'd skip the breakfast, because it's not very good, but their dinners are incredible.  Our table was next to a celebrity's, but we don't even know who he was.  Anyway, it was one of the better meals we had while we were in Colorado.  A tip: you can find pottery bits everywhere in the Coyote Village.

2 comments:

nicole said...

GAH! Your photographs are AMAZING! Love the shots through the binoculars!

I wonder who the celeb was... maybe somebody from my favorite show, Breaking Bad? They film the show in Albuquerque. I'm gonna pretend it was "Jesse Pinkman." Or "Gustavo Fring." xo.

AMD & KMHD said...

It was Chris Herren. ATM saw him on the telly whilst in Wash D.C. and had to ask the barkeeper. We suck knowing celebrities. I'm braggin' there.

Blog Archive